The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Despite All My Rage I'm Still Just a Rat in a Cage

Hands down Cage has been one of the most interesting interviews I've ever done. Mainly, because the guy is just one of the most brutally candid people you'll ever speak to. Which is one of the many reasons why I think his last record, Hell's Winter is one of the best underground records made in this decade. It's unflinchingly honest without being soft, it's lyrically complex without being pretentious and it's just a flat-out great record.

It's also nice to hear someone who is actually good at rap (read: not rap critics) go on the record to say that most Southern hip-hop, with a few notable exceptions, fucking sucks. As for his thoughts on the record industry, his perspective was equally frank.

"I'm sure the downturn of the industry affects us, but it affects major labels a lot more. It’s a quandary for me because I'm kinda with everyone else, fuck corporate America steal their music, these artists aren’t making that much money off their music via labels so what's wrong with stealing music? The rap industry is falling apart because it's crap. They’ve saturated the game with the same bullshit jingles that mean nothing and you get nothing from it. The huge artists still go platinum. They aren't fucking hurting from it, it's the slave masters who hurt."

Cage in the Arizona Republic

Download:
MP3: Cage-"Shoot Frank" (left-click)
MP3: Cage-"Good Morning" (left-click)

And if you're interested, I also have two more features that ran in the Republic this week:

Paid Dues Preview

Busdriver Feature

3 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Commish CH said...

yo, very nice work my man. Cage is an interesting MC, I don't know many other MCs that have gone from the crazy lyrics to what he throws down now.

Did he mention anyone he's working with on his new joint? I'd like to see Def Jux branch out a bit and work with people outside their camp.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

He said that the production will be different. Still split between Camu Tao, El and Blockhead but with tracks from Sean Martin and Exoskeleton (not sure who they are). And I know he's going to be working with Daryl Palumbo of Glassjaw, who is apparently a huge fan.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger doctashock said...

Nice words as always my man. Will I catch you out at RTB tomorrow?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home