The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Friday, July 20, 2007

This is the Lo, Right?

As Joey aptly put it yesterday morning, the just leaked Camp Lo in Black Hollywood, is a legitimate contender for best hip-hop album of the year. Especially considering '07 has been nothing but aging veterans trying to make classics past their prime, against all the odds. Redman was solid but unspectacular and loaded with filler. Prodigy was good but honestly, that isn't the Prodigy of old, we all know that. Pharoahe was on some Andre 3000 shit. Again, good but no Internal Affairs or Stress. The entire second half of Devin the Dude was a throwaway. And Raekwon? Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 is about as real as Anthony Michael Hall's girlfriend "from Canada" in Weird Science.

I'll save the proclamations for the full review, but in my opinion, Lo are the only vets to actually pull it off. This might be their best album yet and I've already made it clear how much I love Uptown Saturday Night. Just listen to album opener, "My Posse from the Bronx" and tell me if it isn't the best intro since "Shakey Dog."

Buy Camp Lo in Black Hollywood

Download:
MP3: Camp Lo-"Posse from the Bronx"

Go to Straight Bangin' for another In Black Hollywood MP3

13 Comments:

At 5:41 AM, Blogger Ass Hat said...

you are not wrong, sir.

 
At 6:26 AM, Anonymous floodwatch said...

Ahhh... glad to hear that little has changed with these dudes. Those stuttered handclaps are that crack.

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Zilla Rocca said...

These guys are incredible because, except for "Let's Do It Again," they always play to their strength. Their beat selection is damn near flawless. They've managed to get more fly and stylish on the mic with age, which is rare for vets.

Can't wait for "Black Hollywood."

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Joey said...

Posse from the Bronx is the best album opening since Fishscale. Just perfect.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger ian/thoreauly77 said...

YES! it is good to know that there are other lo stans out there. thanks for the song jeff.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Byron said...

>Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 is about as real as Anthony Michael Hall's girlfriend "from Canada" in Weird Science.

Wrong John Hughes movie, but true none the less.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Byron said...

Come to think of it, you might be right. But he uses that line in the Breakfast Club as well, and the use in Weird Science was probably a reference to that, so there!

*quietly reflects on how much of a loser he is*

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

Yeah, come to think of it, I think it was used in both BC and Weird Science. And used well I might add. John Hughes had a three year window of brilliance that is just un-fuckwithable.

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous kartell said...

i don't understand a word of their slang, yet I'm hooked. thanks for turning me onto this group, i had passed them over before for some odd reason.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

I agree man, Camp Lo is still doing their thing..

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm digging this new Lo shit, but let's not pretend as if half this shit wasn't on the mixtape from last year. Aren't they prolific enough to make more than 5-8 new songs? I'm a little peeved. I just want more LO!!!

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger SniperInTheMist said...

Just given the new album a listen and I will DEFINITELY be buying it once it drops. Its not as good as Uptown Saturday Night for me (but I was obsessed with that album) but still one of the best this year.

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

definitely agree with anon above. last year's mixtape album is a much stronger release than this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home