The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Links Presented by Bishop Allen

As far as I can tell neither of these men is a bishop which might make this the biggest misnomer since Weed, California. I'm sure a lot of you guys have heard about Bishop Allen. I think they've actually been on every single blog in the history of the Internet. However, I have yet to ever write about them and I did a story on them this week for the Arizona Republic, so why not? Their new album, The Broken String is out right now and I think it's pretty solid in a smart and melancholy indie pop sort of way. It's a little depressing and a little esoteric (with a song about the Civil War Battleship, The Monitor), but what can you do? They went to Harvard. They're probably smarter than us all.

Bishop Allen in the Arizona Republic


Download:
MP3: Bishop Allen-"Rain"
MP3: Bishop Allen-"Click, Click, Click, Click"

In Other News:

Jeff Tweedy of Wilco plays rock critic for the NY Times and sounds just like a music blogger. His picks: Panda Bear, Battles, Dr. Dog, A Hawk & A Hand-Saw and Grizzly Bear.

Blipster Hits Up Sonic Youth, Daft Punk and the Little Radio Summer Camp in what can only be described as the best weekend ever.

Rafi at Oh Word analyzes the absurdity of comparing L'il Wayne to Jim Morrison. Of course, everyone knows that L'il Wayne must only be compared with Slimer from Ghostbusters and/or a small rapping gremlin.


Gorilla Vs. Bear has "82 Afros" from Camp Lo's In Black Hollywood.


Speaking of the Lo, in honor of their new album, So Much Silence digs out a vinyl rip of Camp Lo's "Black Nostaljack" 12," and posts its rarely heard, B-Side, The Kid Capri Mixtape Remix

Humanity Critic drops two weird but eerily convincingly argued points about how Erykah Badu can save hip-hop and declaring Rohan Marley the Yoko Ono of the New Millenium.

Dan "From Da Bricks" Love drops some interesting beat dissections of old Premier tracks at Souled On Music.

3 Comments:

At 2:57 AM, Blogger doctashock said...

Hmmm.... best weekend ever you say? I should have been rolling with Blipster then I guess. Oh well, I guess there's something to be said for rolling to the same gigs solo. If I ever get a chance to actually sit down and write decent posts again I'd have plenty of stuff to cover.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Dan Love said...

Easy Jeff,

Thanks for the link mate. I'm yet to come around to the new Camp Lo joint... a few of the tracks I love, but I'm not convinced totally.

I'm taking your recommendation seriously and putting in the necessary listening hours: I'll let you know.

Enjoy the weekend geez,

Dan

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Dart Adams said...

Good looks on the links, Jeff. By the way...Poisonous Paragraphs is back.

One.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home