The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Bonnaroo or (Get) Bust (ed): The 10 Bands I'm Most Looking Forward to Seeing at Bonnaroo

Hippies. You can't live with them. You certainly can live without them. In fact, this is how I've lived the first 25 years of my life. That is all about to change. Because as of last Friday, I have officially confirmed my plans to thrust deep into the belly of the beast. No, not Congress. No, not EMI (someone needs to pay for Mims, damnit!). Instead, I am planning a trip to Bonnaroo, deep in the heart of Tennessee, suckered by the promise of perhaps the greatest festival line-up assembled in recent years. Throw My Morning Jacket onto this list and I'd say that this year's Bonnaroo might even top Woodstock '99 (I mean, really is it possible to best Bush, Collective Soul, Creed & Limp Bizkit all on the same bill).

Having never been to Bonnaroo or any such festival so redolent with patchouli (does anyone still mess with patchouli?), I'd love to know any and all tips on what to expect. Do people still actually like the String Cheese Incident? (personally, I'm a fan of the Goat Cheese incident--way more underground and experimental). Do hippies still exist? And if so, how can I avoid throttling one,when he starts forest-dancing during the Roots' set? Please do tell. The comments section is open. Call now.

In the meantime, partially as a way to assure myself that it is in fact a good idea to venture cross country to a state that actually voted for Bush on two separate occasions, I'm posting MP3's from the 10 bands I'm most excited to see at Bonnaroo: (Also, if you're heading to Manchester be sure to check out Hits from the Blog's excellent other blog, Bonnawho's Who devoted to all things Bonnaroo.)


1. The White Stripes
Why I'm Looking Forward to Seeing the Stripes: I'm mainly hoping to find out what an "Icky Thump" actually means (No Ickey Woods)

Download:
MP3: The White Stripes-"Icky Thump"

2. Wilco-"Sky Blue Sky"

Why I'm Looking Forward to Seeing Wilco: I'm just hoping Tweedy is going to go all Rocky Balboa again on some rowdy yahoo.

Download:
MP3: Wilco-"Side with the Seeds"

3. Ween
Why I'm Looking Forward to Seeing Ween: Because its fucking Ween.

Download:
MP3: Ween-"Voodoo Lady"

4. The Hold Steady

Why I'm Looking Forward to Seeing The Hold Steady: To hear "Chill Out Tent" in a chill-out tent.

Download:
MP3: The Hold Steady-"Chips Ahoy"

5. Aesop Rock

Why I'm Looking Forward to seeing Aesop Rock: To see if the new songs from None Shall Pass are as brilliant as its artwork.

Download:
MP3: Aesop Rock-"None Shall Pass" (left-click)

6. Spoon
Why I'm Looking Forward to Seeing Spoon: Because on Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga the song remains the same, and it happens to be really good.

Download:
MP3: Spoon-"Change My Life"

7. El-P
Why I'm Looking Forward to Seeing El-P: As they say in French: Duh.

Download: El-P "EMG"

8. The National

Why I'm Looking Forward to Seeing The National: I assume you've heard Boxer and know the answer to this. If not, go buy it immediately (a review will be forthcoming).

Download: The National-"Fake Empire"

9. Dr. Dog

Why I'm Looking Forward to Seeing Dr. Dog: Because this band is much much better than you've heard.

Download:
MP3: Dr. Dog-"Old News"

10. Hot Chip
Why I'm Looking Forward to Seeing Hot Chip: A picture is worth a thousand words (particularly, when it's 3 a.m. and you want to get to sleep).

Download:
MP3: Hot Chip-"And I Was a Boy From School"

9 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger Wayne said...

I attended Bonnaroo in 2004 and had a great time. There ARE a lot of hippies there but they are mostly friendly and harmless. I agree Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and Boxer are easily two of the best things in 2007. I would take in Decemberists, Elvis Perkins and Gillian Welch. Have fun!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Go see Richard Thompson...and get your ass over to Tea Leaf Green (or do you have to go to the Britney Spears tent during that time slot?).

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Some Dude said...

Thanks for the shout out. I linked your post over at my blog too.

Great list and you're so right about Dr. Dog.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger JT said...

Definitely jealous.

I hit 'Roo in '04 as well, and it was pretty fucking on point considering the hippy saturation.

The lineup this year does look fantastic; take sunscreen and also check out Flight of the Conchords for weird comedy.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

Wayne: I will definitely be at Decemberists and Elvis. Never heard Gillian Welch, I'll have to check it out.

Ace: Is that Richard Thompson from Fairport Convention? I'm obviously gonna' see Tea Leaf, barring any guest appearances from late 90s pop stars. You know how I get about backstreet.

Some Dude: Glad you like Dr. Dog. I don't get the lack of love thrown at those guys. Their sound might not be original, its just good. Critics sometimes seem to forget a good song is all that really matters.

JT: Thanks for the tip. Sounds definitely like something I'd be into.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

No My Morning Jacket?

I'm not going, so I'm just jealous that other people are.

Also, Sea Level:( RIP

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger yardbird said...

Yup. That's Richard Thompson from Fairport. If you haven't heard him since THEN, you have been missing OUT with capital O-U-T! :)

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger JT said...

Ha, so random about the Richard Thompson... growing up in England, my dad had a house in the Cotswolds [read: protected countryside], and he lived in this small-ass village on top of a hill. At the bottom of the hill, a 1/2 mile down the road? Cropredy, also known as the home of the Fairport Convention festival. I spent so many summers as a kid stumbling down that hill, sneaking pints of cider out of the pub tents and watching weird folk music on the often-waterlogged, rainy stage.

Weird crowd; definitely good memories though. It wasn't until I turned 16 [almost a decade ago, fuck] that I realized how big that festival is. You'll find plenty of wicca, new age talismans and such down Cropredy way.

Small fucking world.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger mescking said...

I've been every year since '03 and have never had a problem with these so-called "hippies'. Yeah, there are a lot of them but for the most part, these are people that like and are respectful of all kinds of music. As for me, I'll try to be front and center for The National, The Hold Steady, and Spoon. And you definitely check out Old Crow Medicine Show. You'll like 'em even if you don't like bluegrass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home