The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Friday, April 06, 2007

Morris Day & The (LA) Times

Oh and just when you thought I'd run out of random cultural artifacts with the word "time" in it, I'm bringing in the big guns. Morris Day and the fucking Time. Only the greatest band in the world. Which reminds me that I may need to watch Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back tonight, for old time's sake and to remind me of the fact that Will Ferrell actually used to be hilarious. Needless to say after Blades of Glory, I want that 90 minutes of my life back.

Anyhow, my point is to point out that I have no "real" content for guys today. But I do know of rumors where you might get such not-so-rarified material. Namely, the LA Times Buzz Band blog where I've been putting in work all week. Among other things, today's blog (which should be posted by 9:30 a.m. pst) has a show review from Wednesday's nights Little Ones show, which was typically solid. I'm not sold on the new songs yet but those guys certainly do tear it up live.

Download:
MP3: The Little Ones-"Lovers Who Uncover"


Buzz Like Aldrin And the Bumble Bee Man: Here


Buzz And Medusa Aldrin Present This Week's Links
Blockhead, producer for Aesop Rock, and a very fine Ninja Tune recording artist in his own right, lists his "sureshot signs you're a wack MC." My personal favorite: "you use the words mental, lyrical, mystical, mind, cerebellum ect...get regular run in your rhymes. these are dumb words used by people who want to sound smart. when i was 16 and rapping, i used these all the time. i also was a fucking idiot who had no real depth in my lyrics, hence i used those words to make it seem like i did. please, stop it with those words."

Red Gone Wild bricks, moving just 45,000 units. a sad showing for a strong record from one the best rappers of all time. And reviews like this probably won't help future sales much. Nothing personal, but how can anyone take a music critic (or his website) seriously when they give the Redman album a 5.5, the week after Rich Boy gets wild praise and a 7.5 score. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Nerdcore Rap: A horrifying idea in theory, a worse idea in practice. (via Largehearted Boy)

Scott Sterling sees TV on the Radio and writes a review so good that it actually makes me want to go back and give Return to Cookie Mountain another chance.


Dave Parker: American Hero? That sounds right to me. I might just have to do a Kevin Mitchell tribute sometime soon. Just because.

Music For Kids Who Can't Read Good gets the award for Best April Fool's Day Blog. The Fall Out Boy inspired headline: "This Ain't a Scene it's hands down the best song of the year."

Aquarium Drunkard has a bunch of fantastic old CSNY demos that we all probably need to have.

Straight Bangin' says all you could ever want to know about the Redman, Prodigy and Cilvaringz album's and better than I could hope to say it. With MP3's.

33 Jones has some cool Styles P MP3's plus a Pharoahe Monch remix with Amy Winehouse.

Check back later for some Sea Level Records updates. Find out whether or not the crazy old man gets his Ibiza Vol. 6 record. Find out whether or not whether the hipsters of Echo Park are dying for the Rich Boy record. Too bad, we only sell the Mims' jaunt. The apocalypse is nigh my friends.

6 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Blogger Nate said...

You can't have an appreciation for Morris Day and the Time until you see Purple Rain. Morris obviously should have gotten an Oscar for his role.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Ian said...

You don't understand, Jeff: Polow Da Don is like Brian Eno, RZA, Marley Marl, Timbaland, Nigel Godrich and Rick Rubin all wrapped up in one guy. And people didn't believe me when I called that dude the Darin Erstad of music criticism; i.e., if he wasn't white, he'd be out of a job. You think Village Voice would let a black guy go on the record as being an advocate of only rap albums that make black people look as dumb as possible?

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger GentleWhoadie9000 said...

Polow Da Don is also the self-proclaimed "King of all White Girls": http://bossip.com/2007/02/quote-of-day-polow-king-of-all-white.html

This announcement was quite a surprise because I am the comptroller of all White Girls, and I generally know what's going on in my field of expertise.

I am hopeful that I get a promotion to be Secretary of Agriculture for Puerto Rican trannies.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Mr Weiss: Thanks so much for the kind words. I felt kinda cheesy after writing that gushing fanboy account of the TVOTR show, but they just get to me like that. They replaced a lot of Cookie Mountain's gloom-and-doom with genuine joy. Thanks again - you're good people.

And you're not kidding about The Time. If you can find old concert footage, your claim about them being the greatest band ever will be more than justified. Unreal how tight they were live. Find me a drummer that can replicate the opening of "777-9311."

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Renato Pagnani said...

I never was able to discover what everyone found so mesmorizing about Return to Cookie Mountain. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad album by any means, and I enjoy listening to it if a friend has it in the car, but I can't say I've listened to it in over six months. I mean, I've played The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living ten times more in the same span of time.

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger The Human Resource said...

I hate to agree with Breihan on anything, but that Redman album is sooooo damn disappointing.

I don't know if Redman's sound can be updated but that shit was not what I wanted it to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home