The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Friday, March 30, 2007

The (LA) Times They Are A Changin'

Indeed, the Times are a changing. Specifically, the LA Times, where I will be running the Buzz Bands Blog for the next two weeks while Kevin Bronson's out of town. Of course, working for the LA Times is a dicey proposition, considering with my big mouth I'm perpetually one Man Man diatribe away from being all Andres Martinez'ed and shit.

So please go over to the Blog and say hello. I apologize in advance if I'm not as mean as I normally am. I've had to take an extra large dose of Klonopin to restrain my most vicious instincts. Mmmm...Klonopin. Anyhow, I'll be posting at both sites every day for a while, so go easy on me if The Passion is even more ill-thought out than usual.

Today's post at Buzz Bands tackles TV on the Radio openers, The Noisettes, who after a few listens I'm not sure if I like or hate. I'll have to catch them live at Coachella to see whether or not they're less Karen O and more Love is All. And who's got time to listen to them when I can listen to the new Dungen album for the 8,321st time.

The Klaxons Album Cover:
Totally Deep (for 14-Year Olds)

Yesterday's buzz bands blog concerned album reviews from British "Nu-Ravers," The Klaxons. I'm not saying this CD is anything special. It's not half as good as last year's Rapture album and not a 50th of as good as that new LCD Soundsystem, but if you're into that whole "rock dance music" thing you'll probably like it.

The Klaxons are huge in Britain, the NME wants to have crazy ecstasy fueled sex with them (something I never ever want to think about) and they have been called leaders of the "Nu-Rave" movement. Take a listen to their single, "Golden Skans" which went to #7 in Britain. I imagine if I was British, on designer drugs, and a teenager, I would find this record pretty awesome. Thankfully, I am none of those things. Every time I hear the word "designer drugs" I feel like I'm swallowing a pair of blue jeans.

Download: The Klaxons-"Golden Skans

Prodigy: Once Again Proving that Eve
rything 50 Cent Touches Turns To Suck

The only other album covered at Buzz Bands worth talking about is the new Prodigy album. Which is shockingly, a pretty good record. The M-V-P award goes to Alchemist, who might be the most underrated hip-hop producer in recent memory, saving this and the new Evidence from total boredom. Dusty moaning soul samples complement menacing keyboards and gritty drum tracks, propping up P's simple but effective tough talk. Ian Cohen goes on at length in Stylus and I co-sign all of his points. It's probably the best Mobb Deep album since Hell on Earth and while it's nowhere near as good as the early stuff, it remains rock-solid.

Download:
MP3: Prodigy: "Stuck On You"

Links Brought To You By Catfish Hunter: Because His Name Was Catfish Hunter


Sacha Orenstein at Oh Word compiles one of the greatest lists I've seen a while: Rap Songs To Get Bent and Punch A Wall Too.

Dallas Penn: The MLB Facial Hair Hall of Fame. No need to explain more.

Aquarium Drunkard has two songs from the Besnard Lakes. If you haven't checked these guys out yet you should. And while you're over there congratulate him on being Sirius' newest blog radio host.

Cole Slaw Blog Is Having a Tournament of Everything. Featuring match-ups between Jacques Cousteau Vs. The Office (UK). A tough call.


Milk Was a Bad Choice recaps Wrestlemania III. Because it is never a bad time to talk Wrestlemania III. The pure good of Hulk Hogan. The gallic Shrek, Andre the Giant. Don't even get me started.


Crocktock reviews the El-P show that I attended on Monday. As I already wrote two posts on El in the last week, I saved you guys yet another post on I'll Sleep When You're Dead. But as Crock can attest the show was incredible. See El-P when he comes to your town.


Uncle Granbo has a video from the Hold Steady, along with a nice look at a couplet from one of the best songs of last year and any year, "Stuck Between Stations."

8 Comments:

At 2:39 AM, Blogger Ian said...

I kinda like "Golden Skans."

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger mutoni said...

congrats on the gig, jeff.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Coffee Snorter said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Coffee Snorter said...

congrats!! wreak havoc, my friend, wreak havoc.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Joey said...

Congrats, Jeff. That's awesome.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the Prodigy album, although I find it decidedly good-not-great. As for the production, is it possible that it's solid but uninteresting? So many tracks are serviceable, yet none of them really stand out and make me want to listen with any abnormal frequency.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous DudeAsInCool said...

Nice going. Now you've doubled my daily reading.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Shorty said...

Congrats...LA Times, nice...something tells me I might be waiting a while for the NY Times to call me...

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger AlecBaldwin said...

YES!! Another step towards Weiss' world domination! The World Needs to Know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home