Beards, Blazers & Glasses: Thirtysomething Thoughts On Menomena and a Few on The Parson Redheads
1. Jesus Christ! Their lead singer looks exactly like Dave Grohl.
2. At least, he doesn't look like Krist Novoselic.
3. Menomena's drummer bashes the drums like he was Animal.
4. Muppet Show Animal, not Muppet Babies Animal. Better.
5. Bands should not have a laptops on stage. Ever.
6. But all Girl Talk does is bring a laptop on stage and hit the space bar.
7. Enough said.
8. All bands should have a bassist.
9. Unless your name is Jack White.
10. No one up here resembles Jack White.
11. Just Dave Grohl
Dave Grohl-The Look of a Boy Bander: The Heart of a Grungie
12. This is boring. Fuck.
13. I wonder when they're going to play "Wet and Rusting."
14. The video for "Wet and Rusting" is kinda' sorta awesome. And funny too.
15. Is this gonna' be another one of those love the album/bored by the live show type shows?
16. I'm tired.
17. And hungry.
18. And just 45 minutes away from ordering a Tuna Melt and Mac Daddy and Cheese Balls at Fred 62.
19. My question has been answered.
20. Wait a minute...Dave Grohl's playing the saxamaphone.
21. He's better than Lisa Simpson. But he's no Bleeding Gums Murphy.
22. Parts of the album that seemed primal and mysterious on record seem cold and thin in person.
23. But give these guys a few more horns, a bass player and maybe some strings, and they would be something fierce.
24. Finally. They're playing "Wet and Rusting."
25. This song might be my favorite rock track all year. Live, it is equally great.
26. Because this song features one of the guys playing the bass.
27. Bands should pay me to be their band coach.
28. Too bad no one is that foolish.
29. You know what isn't foolish. Tuna Melts.
Tuna Melts: Never a Bad Idea30. I can't leave directly after the band plays the single. That's just lame.
31. Then again, I probably would've had a better time staying at home, throwing the album on shuffle and cranking up the volume.
32. 10 minutes pass.
33. Oh, tuna Melt, You have defeated me again.
[Out the door]
34. Friend and Foe remains a great album. The live show, not so Menonomenal.
Also See Brunette Like Me's very intelligent and anagram-friendly take on Menomena's show.
MP3: Menomena-"Wet and Rusting"
MP3: Menomena-"My My"
Talk Amongst Yourselves: The Parson Redheads. They Have Both Members Named Parson and Members With Red Hair. Discuss
The Parson's delivered a very solid opening set. I've written about them many times. See here, here and here.
1. Listen up, hippies. This should be your new favorite band. They only kinda' sorta' jam but if you give them enough drugs and money, I'm sure you can convince them.
2. Somebody needs to book these guys a ticket to Bonnaroo. Pronto.
3. Too bad hippies don't read my blog.
4. I would probably hate my blog if I was a hippie.
5. Luckily, hippies can't hate my blog. They have to love everything.
6. Point: Weiss
7. If you dislike this band's live show, you are one of three things. a) A fascist b) A fan of the Black Eyed Peas c) A writer at Pitchfork or d) All of the above.
8. I bet a fascist, Black Eyed Peas-loving Pitchfork writer would be fun to hang out with at parties.
9. Despite, the strong comp coming from The Deadly Syndrome, The Parsons hold onto their title as my favorite new local band.
10. And live, "Full Moon" brings down the house. Every single time.
MP3: The Parson Redheads-"Full Moon"