The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Played Out Like Zodiac Signs on Sweatshirts

Yeah, I know that you're all tired of all the incessant Borat hype. At this point, it's pretty much inescapable. So I'll understand if you don't want to click over to my Stylus review of the film. However, before you don't, I'd just like to point out that the review is specifically written with your perspective in mind (being the Internet savvy soul that you inevitably are). Meaning no redundant plot summaries or rehashes of the film's funniest moments. Rather the review mainly addresses what sort of meaning can be gleaned from the film, which I believe to be the most insightful look into the American condition in a long time (or at least since Idiocracy). Either way, I guarantee that I'm one of the few reviewers to call Borat the comedic Easy Rider for this generation.

Even if you don't read the review. Download these two tracks from the Borat soundtrack. Predictably, they're hilarious.

Download:

Borat: "You Be My Wife" (right-click, save as)

Borat: "Born to Be Wild" (right-click, save as)

John Kerry Off the Hook For His Iraq Comment, Still Not Off the Hook for This Photo
So it turns out that John Kerry's Iraq gaffe didn't actually cost the Dems the mid-term elections, as they took back both houses of Congress. Not a big surprise. But if I were the Democrats (and the media), I'd think twice before freaking out the way that they did over his fairly innocuous remark. Do they honestly have such disdain for the intelligence of the average voter that they think that one off-hand slip of the tongue could swing the balance of millions of votes? Someone probably owes him an apology, even though Kerry might be biggest doofus known to man. See the above photo.

At any rate, for the first time in six years I can honestly say that maybe just maybe things might be looking up for the country. After all, to quote Bill and Ted: Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K. It's not just that the Dems control congress and miraculously have stolen the balance of power from the corrupt and completely discredited Bush administration. It's not even that California's Prop. 86 mercifully failed, saving cig smokers a fascist $2.60 increase per pack. Hell, it's not even that Donald Rumsfeld turned in a resignation letter, which for all practical purposes shoud've been dated April 29, 2004, the day after the Abu Ghraib scandal broke. No, there are deeper things at work in the cosmos, as even the world of pop culture is turning back from the abyss. Borat, the most subversive blockbuster comedy ever is #1 at the box office and even Britney Spears and Kevin Federline are getting a divorce. Apparently, there is a Santa Claus.

The Round-Up
Reel Fanatic Drops His List of the Top 10 Funniest Films of All Time

This NY Magazine article on the Aoki family, the founders of the Benihana chain, might be the most interesting thing I've read in recent memory. If you read one link, make it this. It's truly fascinating.


A friend and former colleague of mine, All Hip-Hop.com writer Slav Kandyba has begun writing a column for Pro Hip Hip.com. Check it out.

Surprise, surprise...Kanye West is still obnoxious.


Oh Word lists the 5 worst labels in hip-hop.


Dallas Penn takes a look at the sheer awesomeness of Dwight Gooden, one of the greatest pitchers to ever take the mound. Crack habit or not. No word if he's guesting on the Young Jeezy album.


Lastly, the Assimilated Negro drops an epic post about how Morgan Freeman "deserves some ass." Need I say more?

4 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Blogger Douglas Reinhardt said...

I think the comparsion between Easy Rider and Borat is a solid comparsion. I'd say more, but I wrote a paper on Easy Rider a few months ago and I'm burnt out on talking about it.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Duke said...

you see the s/t trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWflK8V1ERo

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger amphimacer said...

Oh, Weiss, Weiss, Weiss! Gossip pages in the PotW? Britney's divorce? When I got into work the other morning, someone showed me one of the papers, and my reaction was "I'm shocked and offended." Why, I was asked? What has shocked and offended you? "That it's on the fucking front page of a fucking newspaper!" quoth I. I thought surely the PotW would provide a welcome respite from that particular inanity. Oh, Weiss!

As for Borat, I haven't seen the movie, although the Borat stuff that he did on The Ali G Show was, like much conceptual humour, funnier in its conception than its execution. That's why I've been unwilling to spend my hard-inherited cash (the money from the job pays the rent, boys) on the movie. Unfortunately, Easy Rider doesn't really stand up all that well as a movie now.

But yes, I remember the impact we all felt when it came out. It captured the zeitgeist strategically -- hitting all the right notes for a particular demographic -- but did not reach the broadest of audiences. The problem with Borat as a similar zeitgeist capturer is its ironic intent. Irony has a short shelf life. That's no reason not to practise it, but don't expect it to resonate for long.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

What can I say...it was a fish in a barrel and I shot at it...I wonder if she even knew there was an election going on.

I think you'll enjoy the movie...its worth seeing in the theaters...go in with low expectations and you'll have no problem finding laughs at the very least.

As for Easy Rider, I'm surprised you feel that way. I think it captures the time perfectly and is every bit as relevant as it ever could be. It might be dated but that's part of its charm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home