The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Tale of 2 Dreams

Just last week, The Streets released the single "Prangin' Out" from his The Hardest Way to Make An Easy Living album that dropped earlier this year. The album wasn't without its charms but even so, it was easily one of the most disappointing releases of the year. The Streets' once-bleak and resonant confessionals were replaced with smug arrogance and shallow cocaine introspection. And his live show wasn't much better, a fact that I also discovered a few months ago.

However, "Dreams" one of the "Prangin' Out" B-sides has been pretty much stuck in my head all week. I don't know how this song missed the album, as its typical vintage Streets. The story of a recurring dream that he's been having about bicycles, set against the drug-addled and drunken realities of his everyday life. Meanwhile, the beat is one of the finest he's ever made, simplistic accordian/electro chords smothering hard skittering drums. Dealing with the hedonistic themes that dominated Mike Skinner's latest album, it would seem to have been cut during The Hardest Way sessions, except it seems more fully-fleshed and real than almost everything else that actually made the cut.

But it's the title that I couldn't help but wonder about. An avid fan, Mike Skinner even name-dropped Biggie on his song "Two Nations." One couldn't help but wonder if his "Dreams" track was an homage to Biggie's classic "Dreams," where BIG discusses all the R&B singers he wants to sleep with.

Well, At Least He Got Faith (literally)
If you haven't heard Big's "Dreams," you're in for a treat, as it showcases vintage Christopher Wallace. A hilariously simple chorus: "Dreams of Fucking An R&B Bitch/I'm just playin' but I'm sayin," and a basic roll call of every single R&B singer working during the mid-90s.

I've got to say that as much as I like The Streets "Dreams," nothing can top Biggie's crude, lewd and brilliant track. The rhyme schemes are flawless: "Even SWV and TLC can't see B.I.G. with telepathy." Biggie brags that he'd "smoke a stog/fucking En Vogue cause there's 4 of them." He claims that that "if that bitch Toni Braxton gives me action...guaranteed satisfaction."

Listen to them both. Hopefully, the new "Dreams" augurs the beginning of a comeback for The Streets. And while Biggie isn't coming back soon, it provides yet another reason why the rap world so desperately needs another Biggie, someone capable of making good songs for mainstream audiences, ones filled with sly humor, menace and intelligence.

Download:
The Streets-"Dreams" (right-click, save as)
The Notorious BIG-"Dreams" (right-click, save as)

The Round-Up

I don't know if anyone's been following the continuing saga of Devendra Banhart's Jane Magazine blog, but you can pretty much make the claim that the man is mentally retarded. Just read some of those so-called "deep thoughts." My personal favorite quote: "my Friend Awalt has just told me to invest in a pumpkin , he's gonna win that carving contest and we are gonna start the month off right,pppuuummmpppkkiiinnn, it is a lovely word."

Speaking of retarded, this Yahoo news story epitomizes the word with an entire 500 words spilled about young Americans abusing caffeine pills. I'm no scientist, but you think they'd be more concerned about the millions of young speed junkies that we're pumping full of adderal. Who does Yahoo take news tips from? The writers of Saved By the Bell? I'm surprised the article doesn't have a pic of Jesse Spanow and the caption: "I'm so excited...I'm so...I'm so scared."

But caffeine pills be-damned, this other Yahoo headline, might be the dumbest one yet: "Teen's tongue piercing linked to pain." Oh really...you don't say? I never would've guessed that being stabbed in the tongue with a metal spike would hurt. Thank god for journalists to tell me that.

Continuing with today's all-retard, all the time Thursday theme, check out Crock Tock's venemous post on the 10 most Annoying Hollywood Idiots.

Finally, the always classically retarded Jim Jones is getting a reality show. I don't know what it will be about. I don't know what channel it will air on. But I do know that I will watch it. Jim Jones might be the most entertaining human being alive. I'm not sure if the world is ready for a Jim Jones reality show, but I've been waiting for something like that my whole life. I can now die a happy man.


5 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger GentleWhoadie9000 said...

Apparently Jim Jones is also putting out a Christmas album "A Dipset Christmas."

http://www.thefader.com/blog/articles/2006/10/18/jingle-jingle

Finally, something reasonable for us on Christmas other than Chinese food and the movies.

Challah!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

holy shit...a Jim Jones Christmas album...it's almost enough to make me convert. I can't wait for "Jingle Bitches" inevitably the lead single.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger mutoni said...

"classically retarded"

nice.

i can't wait for this jim jones show. it'll be the first reality show i actually watch on a regular basis. good times all around!

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger noixe said...

capo the don is too up on the accidental next shit to call the single "jingle bitches." it will be called "harlem christmas" and it will be a throwback new jack swing track produced by teddy riley.

btw streets' "dreams" was a reject from the biggie duets joint from last year, so much so that it didn't even get a biggie verse.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

no kidding...I'd always heard that "Two Nations" was the scrapped track, but "dreams" would make a whole lot more sense...and definitely should not have been tossed in my opinion, or at least should've made the Streets album over crap like "Momento Mori" God that song sucked

 

Post a Comment

<< Home