The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Friday, October 13, 2006

The Cold War Kids: The Muppet Babies of Indie Rock

Okay, so the Cold War Kids are actually nothing like the Muppet Babies in any way. Other than the fact that they have kids/babies at the end of their names. And clearly, I'm making very little sense. And this is why I shouldn't blog stoned. But seriously, did you ever wonder what sort of animal Gonzo was? I certainly did. Is he an eagle? A dinosaur? A lemur? Discuss. This is not even getting into the fact that Animal was depicted as stone-cold retarded even as a baby. Insensitive methinks to the mentally challenged. But I digress. Moving on.

At any rate, this isn't merely a post filled with random jibber-jabber. (it is). It's a post telling you to go to Stylus and check out my review for the Cold War Kids' new album Robbers and Cowards. It's my first official music review for them. I give their album a B, which sounds a bit low, but it's just our rating system. Think of it as an 8.1. At any rate, the album's not just recommended by me, but also by the very credible Skeet on Mischa, who has given them his vote of confidence, It's a very strong debut by a good young band. Here's two of my favorite songs off their album. Decide for yourself.

Download: Cold War Kids: "Hang Me Up To Dry" (right-click, save as)

Download: Cold War Kids: "Hospital Beds" (right-click, save as)

The Cold War Kids @Myspace
This is going to be short, but I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about The National concert that I went to on Wednesday night. Without going on and on like I normally do, the fact remains that The National might be the most underrated band in America, a fact that Dan "Floating Away" and Ian "Sexy Results" and I, all agreed upon at the show.

The National's sound is sorta' like what would happen if Interpol was really into chamber pop. But unlike say the Editors, the National's sound isn't at all ripped off. They're purely locked into their own original vision, with brooding, introspective and often darkly sarcastic lyrics. This was my second time seeing them and their live show is as tight as can be, all slinking riffs, rolling guitars, sharp violin notes, slanted up against lead singer Matt Berninger's haunting baritone. They played an hour and a half with ferocious intensity and clear focus. And their third album, 2005's Alligator is quite good and worth owning. Even both Stylus agreed and we hate everything. (mostly). Go to The Rawking Refuses to Stop for pics from the show.

Download: The National: "All the Wine" (right-click, save-as)

The National's Myspace

Around the Blogs

Lazy Daydream Rambler concurs that My Morning Jacket's Okonokos is awesome. Read his review of a very good album from a great band.

This post from Pound to Pound about the Cure is worth reading if nothing else the caption under Robert Smith's face. Hilarious.

The formidable Straight Bangin' has made a triumphant return to blogging after a summer semi-hiatus that had us all starving for content. Check out his heartfelt post on J-Dilla, complete with a shockingly really good song from Busta Rhymes.

Lastly, this post on Wig Owners (it makes more sense when you read it) from Dallas Penn is incredibly funny and definitely worth your time.

3 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger Douglas Reinhardt said...

It's interesting how Cold War Kids just sprang out of nowhere to become indie darlings.

They didn't even play a lunch time concert at my college and a lot of local bands have cut their teeth in the quad. Even at the height of their buzz, She Wants Revenge did a lunch time concert

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Fat Albert said...

Congrats on doing the review, was an engaging read.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger GentleWhoadie9000 said...

damn, i remember hearing a few tracks by the national in like 01 and then they fell of the face of the (read: my) earth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home