The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Great Pumpkin (No Charlie Brown)

Pumpkin is the best movie you've never seen. Seriously. This is why I wrote an On Second Thought piece about the film for Stylus this week. Check it out and please see this movie. If you like Ghost World and Heathers, you'll like Pumpkin. Trust.

Basically, the film is the story of Christina Ricci/Carolyn McDuffy an incredibly cute and incredibly stupid sorority girl at USC (called Southern California State University) who falls in love with a mentally retarded challenged athlete named Pumpkin Romanoff. Hilarity ensues. Yeah, the movie is that weird. It's also that good.

In other news, I also covered a Lupe Fiasco set for Rap-Up magazine last week. You can check it here. It's not my finest writing but it was just a half hour set and it was pretty underwhelming to tell you the truth. Ian's compared Lupe to Guru from Gangstarr and I think that comparison's pretty dead-on. I have the feeling if I'd heard Lupe when I was 16, he'd be my new favorite rapper. He's definitely good and the rap world needs more Lupe Fiasco's more than they needs Young Jeezy's, but Lupe's album seems to be missing something. It's more admirable and impressive than it is fun to listen to. This is probably why I've listened it only twice while I've listened to the Method Man CD about 8 or 9 times since I got it.

Oh by the way, remember what I said about the Paris Hilton CD? The part about how critics were going to rush out and praise it as better than expected and a "frothy summer delight." Well, Check All Music Guide's 4.5 star review of her new album. All I can say is egads. Well, egads is all that I can say that doesn't involve the seven words you can't say on television.

Also...Talib Kweli now has an infrequently updated blog...but a blog nonetheless. Check out his April 18th post. It's rather good and it raises some interesting questions about the nature of artists and constructive criticism vs. hating on them. At one point, he addresses the issue of critics hating on Common's Electric Circus while loving Be. In the post, Kweli maintains that Electric Circus was the album Common needed to make to get to Be and critics don't understand the path of the artist. And you know what? He's probably right. That being said, Electric Circus is damned underrated. I don't care what anyone says. I like that album a lot. I like Be too. But it seems that people generally divide themselves into one camp or the either. Oh well.

Until next time...

2 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Jack Bauer said...

Weiss:

I remember watching "Pumpkin" and after the 1st hour, was ready to turn it off. Luckily, I didn't. It's a great film, it's just not Wes Anderson enough for indie people/scar wearers/critics to grasp.

I read Kweli's blog and he's slowly crossing that line that ?uestlove did right around "Phrenology." Why do Okayplayer artists think that regular people really give a shit about thier pretentious pet peeves? Egad, everything about that whole camp is holier than thou. "Beautiful Struggle" and "The Tipping Point" both failed miserably at attracting a mainstream audience, so now Kweli and The Roots are back on their "See, we knew these brainwashed idiots couldn't feel us even when we do songs with The Neptunes and Scott Storch. Let's make white stoner intelligent music and tour for 3 years straight again!" Actually, the Okayplayers in all their self-importance and grandeur STILL do not understand how to make a hit record; they disguise it by looking down on current rap pop stars. Say what you will about Kanye and Outkast, but they are just as artsy-fartsy as Okayplayer artists yet make songs and albums with innovative music for the masses. We don't hear them crying to Rolling Stone or on their own blogs about the industry and fans underappreciating them. "Game Theory" is a solid dark album with absolutely zero memorable songs that don't feature Peedi Crakk. Either shit or get off the toilet.

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Sandro said...

I am a Pumpkin veteran as I own the DVD and watch it nearly every time I get high (on life). 'Ode to Pasadena' is also one of the classic poems of the 00's. Required reading for all Southern California college students.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home