The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Best.Movie.Ever

Don't really have much time to write a full-fledged blog today, as I'm trying to squeeze in some real writing before watching Al Franken and Ann Coulter debate tonight which should be an engaging contest to see who can be the biggest douchebag. (Even though I hate Franken a good deal, I feel no one can out douchebag Coulter. Ever).

But since I'm not posting anything substantive today, I just wanted to mention that I saw Annie Hall this weekend for the third time and if you haven't yet seen it, I can't recommend a movie more. I know it's not some sort of stunningly new revelation that Annie Hall is a good flick, considering it won Best Picture in '77 and most people over the age of 30 regard it as one of the finest comedies ever made. However, as many of my readers (I assume) are under 30, many in our generation typically regard Allen as the semi-washed up filmmaker that married his stepdaugher. Regardless of what you think of the man's private life, the fact remains that Annie Hall is prolly the best comedy I've ever seen. If you like "Seinfeld," there's a great chance you'll love this film, as much of the Larry David/Jerry Seinfeld-esque schtick owes a major creative debt to Woody Allen.

The thing about the film isn't just that it's a funny movie, but the way in which he melds together time and place and emotion is stunning. Additionally, Allen is perhaps the most creative comic mind I've ever seen, throwing in animated scenes, turn to the camera asides and other absurdities that a lesser filmmaker would've tried to make avant-garde or artsy. Simply put, the man is/was a genius, no matter how disturbing the whole Soon-Yi thing is. I apologize for not having a more complete review, as this is rather shoddy, but please check out this film the next time you're looking to rent a movie. Without a question, I'd place it as my favorite comedy of all time. Though be forewarned, I place Zoolander as number 2 for whatever that's worth. So check it out if you haven't yet seen it and if you have, I'd recommend seeing it again, the more I see it, the more I pick up and marvel at.

6 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Slav said...

Where's Deconstructing Harry on your list? It's one of my all-time faves.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

It's up there. I love that film a lot. Definitely makes any all time best list.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Nate said...

See this is why I can't blog every single day. It's hard when you have other things to do? I'm sure you'll have a solid blog about Ann Coulter today.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

That vile wrech will be dealt with on Thursday

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger amphimacer said...

Zoolander? Seriously, my man, Zoolander?
The only problem with the middle period Woody Allen is that he's not quite as funny there as in the first couple of pictures, most especially "Bananas," which is not only his funniest movie, but has funny music (Marvin Hamlisch's best score). I'm a big Woody fan, in fact my wife and I are the only two people I have ever met who enjoyed "Stardust Memories." Yes, the life is disturbing, but the body of work is first rate. Also, check out his stand-up if you can. He was famous for turning clich├ęs upside down: "A friend of mine used to carry a bullet in his shirt pocket; one time someone threw a Bible at him, and the bullet saved his life."
Zoolander? Frankly, nothing Ben Stiller has ever done is as funny as the early Stiller and Meara (his parents -- circa 1965 -- maybe check out those Ed Sullivan reruns that are on TV all the time). Except maybe Mr. Furious, in that stupid "Mystery Men" picture. How old am I, anyway? I seem to have been on a first-name basis with Calvin Coolidge (whose first name was John, by the way).

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

That Woody Allen stand up stuff must be incredible. He is really awe-inspiringly funny. y'now I've never seen Bananas and will definitely hop to that when I get a chance. I do enjoy that early stuff, What's Up Tiger Lilly definitely cracked me up like few other movies have.

I'm definitely with you on Jerry Stiller, the man has never met a scene he couldn't steal, but I confess to having very little knowledge of Anne O' Meara.

As for Ben, I do admit he is definitely hit or miss (Then Again Came Polly anyone), but when he's on he really is truly hysterical. You should check out the Ben Stiller show DVD it's really great. And Zoolander, I probably am more partial to it than most people considering I grew up in LA surrounding by the vain and pretentious people that the film mocks. I guess that's why I find it so great, there are a million guys who go to clubs in Hollywood and quote Zoolander lines all day long, meanwhile they're practicing their best Blue Steel poses in the bathroom mirror. What can I say really though, i love myself a good high-brow intelligent comedy anyday (check out THank You For Smoking, I'm reviewing it tomorrow, it's really really funny and smart), but I love dumb comedies too. Not Big Momma's House Dumb mind you, but Old School, Zoolander, 40-Year Old Virgin (which to my surprise I really really loved).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home