The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Work (What Kind of Work is It That You Do)


Today is a day that I will hopefully remember for the rest of my life. I must admit, part of the reason for this IS that it's Groundhog's day, a day admittedly worthy of extreme veneration and respect. But more than that it's an even more special holiday (and no, it's not Simcha Torah, what sort of a person do you take me for?): Today is my final day at the job. Finally, I am ready to fulfill my true dreams: unemployed hobo. For a glimpse at what I'll look like in six weeks, see the above picture.
This transformation is something I've been preparing for since my sophomore year of college when my mom whispered to my then-girlfriend: "I'm sort of worried about Jeff. He really doesn't like to work and he doesn't really have any marketable qualities."

And she was right. Somehow, I don't think cynical jerk really fits into too many people' s ideal employee description. Luckily, there's always Hollywood, a land filled with others of my ilk. I'm sure I'll fit right in.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about the fact that come Monday, I'l be unemployed. I do have a variety of part-time jobs lined up that should pay the bills and I have enough writing projects through 2010, so I'll definitely be busy. I'm excited and all, but I don't think this whole unemployment thing is going to settle in until the first time I'm stoned at the Los Feliz 7-11 around 12:17 p.m on a Tuesday. On second thought, it just settled in...I can't wait. I feel this is my density, I mean my destiny.

I've also decided that Fridays also should be used for writing short notes about the things that I do that don't make it to the blog, such things will typically include my passion for the board game Sorry, my adventures inventing a new, faster and wilder version of Crocodile Mile and my essays on how Larry Johnson/Grandmamma represented more than just a Converse commercial. Because it obviously represented a major shift in the way we view gender malleability in America, obvs!

So here goes.
Last Friday, I got the chance to catch Of Montreal at the Echo-Plex. As I mentioned last week, Of Montreal is a very solid band with two very good albums that I own. But the difference between a good band and a great band always becomes very evident when you see them live. That being said, Of Montreal is a good band. On-stage, Kevin Barnes, the lead singer of the group, reminds me of a guy trying to impersonate Jared Leto trying to impersonate David Bowie. For the record, Jared Leto is fantastically uncool. Essentially, Barnes is two degrees of seperation from coolness. It also didn't help matters that the guy came out on stage rocking a white wedding dress. Will somebody please tell these indie rockers that androgyny died 30 years ago. Get the fuck over it. Either devise some sort of original look that no one else has ever come forward with (i.e. Ghostface, Jack White, Engelbert Humperdink etc.) or move the fuck on and wear a t-shirt and jeans. That being said, I don't mean to denigrate Of Montreal too much. Their music sounded quite excellent live, much sharper, clearer and vibrant than on CD and they have some really really great songs that can make any stoner not want to beat hipsters senseless for a just a fraction of a moment.

Sunday Afternoon: I hit up the Scientology Celebrity Centre's buffet, which truth be told was all sorts of awesome. They had the best waffle I've ever had in my life and a crazy spread of food: omelettes, bacon, sausage, potatoes, eggs benedict, fruit, desserts. You name it. Everyone was creepily nice. I kept on waiting for them to stab me in my kidneys when I wasn't looking.

But even better than the food was the moment, when I watched three British tourists take an e-meter test. They couldn't have been more than 21 years old and they were clearly only there to fuck with the Scientology Freaks. The ultimate moment came when the girl in the group, took an e-meter test and her score went off the charts.

Scientology Cult Douchebag 1: Wow, you must be really stressed
British Girl: Actually I'm not. In fact, out of all the people I know, I'm the least stressed.
SCB1: You must not know how stressed you actually are.
British Girl: No, what I'm sure of is that this is bullshit.

To quote Bill and Ted: Most Excellent!

Last Monday, I had the privilege of catching a debate at the Universal Amphitheatre between John Edward and Newt Gingrich. I'd like to consider myself an independent but truth be told, though I find most Democrats repulsive I vote for them more often than not. Accordingly, I found myself often siding with Edwards on every point. The man is incredibly lucid, coherent and always has an eloquent and well-thought out response for any question. A stark contrast to the man we have in office now. And a sharp contrast to his former running mate, I might add. After watching Edwards speak for a while, he confirmed something that I have thought for quite some time: the Presidential ticket in 2004 should've been reversed. John Kerry was pure VP material at best, but Edwards really does have the potential to be a Kennedy-esque leader. Sure, the man is totally corny. I readily admit this, but he radiates a sincerity that is all-too-rare in politicians these days, and even if he is a bit phony (and considering he's a politician you've got to assume he is) he's got my vote in 2008.

Coming into the debate, I thought that I'd end up hating on Gingrich. His reputation certainly wasn't stellar in my own mind, but though he is a tad too absolutist and extreme for my tastes, he is a very intelligent man, who undoubtedly would do a better job in charge than Bush (though let's be real, a homeless guy on PCP could've probably done a better job of post-war planning than George Bush). While I'm not about to join the Newt bandwagon any time soon, I've got to confess he made some good points, and you'd be surprised how much common ground he and John Edwards found.

Later Monday Night:
Had the pleasure of catching the last half of austin-based Indie band Sound Team at Spaceland. I definitely recommend this band and their recent EP, which I picked up at the show. Though, I only caught about 20 minutes of their set, they have a unique sound (like the shitty Beatles, they also don't just have a clever name), full of heavy drums, keyboards and hard guitars. They're somewhere between the Killers (but much fucking cooler than those posers) and the Go! Team. They're worth your time...trust. And as they looked about 12 years old, they're probably only going to improve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home