The Passion of the Weiss

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick. But most of the time, I don't rhyme.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Anthem of the Sun

“Get 'em up, get 'em up, get 'em up, get 'em up, get 'em up, let's go,” ….Oh…why hello there faithful readers of the Passion, didn’t realize that anyone was listening to me rap. You see I was singing along and typing up the words to Atlanta’s brand spanking new-hip anthem, “The ATL,” and you best believe that I was getting crunk…old school style.

You might be wondering what I’m talking about. Well, yesterday, the Los Angeles Times ran an article detailing Atlanta Mayor, Shirley Franklin’s decision to commission Dallas Austin, a well-known hip hop producer to write “The ATL,” as part of her brand Atlanta campaign to attract businesses and tourists to the city. Because let’s face it, if you’re a tourist or a business, the number one consideration that can lure you to a city is the quality of its hip hop anthem. I myself, almost moved to Detroit after Eminem’s poignant and sensitive dirge, “Amityville.”

But clearly, some Atlantans just don’t get it because ever since "The ATL" debuted in front of 70,000 football fans at an Atlanta Falcons game in October, Atlanta residents have critiqued its rhythm, its melody and its lyrics. The nerve.

In particular, people in the suburbs that surround Atlanta don’t understand why the city would use an edgy rap song to market the community. Clearly, an expert was needed to parse the deeper meaning behind this conflict. And when I think expert, I think Jermaine Dupri, the legendary mind behind mind-blowing sonic gems like “Jazzy Hoes,” “Money, Hoes & Power,” and “Ballin’ Out of Control.”

“For his part, Dupri does not fault what he calls the "stogey fogy people" in the suburbs for failing to embrace hip-hop. "They don't know about me," he said. "Nobody has informed them that this is their music."

And that’s why I decided to write this post. Wake up you Stogey Fogy People!! Why aren’t you embracing hip-hop?! Have you not heard “Wait (the Whisper Song)” by the Ying-Yang Twins. Are you oblivious to the merits of Chingy’s “Right Thurr?” This is YOUR music. How do you people live? I was damn near suicidal before I heard the Black Eyed Peas,’ “My Humps.” And now look at me, I’m a beacon of light and goodwill.

In fact, Dupri’s words have inspired me so much that I’m going to cook up an anthem for my hometown, Beverly Hills. After all, no city is complete without an anthem. My only problem is what kind of anthem does Beverly Hills need. It definitely needs to be relevant to the streets. Because if nothing else, Beverly Hills is all about the streets. Yet I’m torn. Do I want to write an underground banger that would give shouts out the lesser-known spots of the BH, I’m talking Jack and Jill’s, the Roxbury Park Basketball Courts, The Backstage Café. Or do I want to write a commercial jam focusing on the big-name department stores, Rodeo Dr. and the Palm Trees. It’s such a tough decision. What rhymes with Barney’s?? Readers, help me. I welcome your suggestions. We need to compose an anthem that will be remembered for generations to come. Because mothafuckas is gonna’ be trippin’ when we set ‘em straight about the BH!! Y’all better recognize!

2 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Nate said...

In BH instead of rolling The Shaw (Crenshaw Blvd.) or The Set (Sunset Blvd.) we choose to mob The Worth (Whitworth), or The Heeny (Doheny Drive). Nothing like the mean streets of Beverly Hills. If you value your safety, you'll never cross south of Whitworth or East of Doheny...That shit be dangerous, B.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

I'm feeling it. I'm feeling it. JD would definitely be using that anthem to mack bitches and to cruise the Shaw, or the extraordinarily rough 90211

 

Post a Comment

<< Home